Wednesday, January 21, 2009

RS-8

I once again decided to reverse applique this block because it makes it easier to space the shapes accurately.
I had some trouble with the background fabric fraying. The weave is quite loose and I wouldn't have used it if I had foreseen the problems I'm having with it, but we're 60-something blocks in, so I guess I'm stuck with it.
I may redo this one with regular applique and see if the shapes turn out better, especially the little top triangle.

Print or trace the block diagram onto freezer paper and cut out the shapes as shown.
Keep the bottom cutout section to help you determine the bottom of the block when trimming the seam allowances later on.
NB!!! If printing remember to change the block size to 5"x8" before printing.

Iron the freezer paper shape onto the right side of a rectangle of background fabric at least 6"x9" big.
Cut out the shapes, leaving a small seam allowance all around. Clip the curves and corners almost to the seam line.
Place a main fabric rectangle right side up on the table. Place the background fabric rectangle with the freezer paper ironed on to it on top, right side up as well.
Baste through all layers being careful not to baste too close to the shape seam lines, since you'll have to turn under the fabric when appliqueing.

Reverse applique all the shapes. Press.
Trim the block's seam allowances to ¼" before removing the freezer paper.
Remove the freezer paper and press again.

3 comments:

  1. You worked hard to day Girl! Way to go! When I looked at the lists of posts, all I could say was WOW.
    way to go!
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the work you have done. By the way, your newest block is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... thanks for all the hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete