Wednesday, January 21, 2009

C-3

This block, for some or other reason, gave me lots of headaches.
I first decided to rotary cut and piece it because it seemed simple. It was, but it turned out really wonky, which was probably due to the fact that I can't sew accurately. In my efforts to "press it straight" (fess up now, you've done this too), I actually singed the white fabric which meant I HAD to redo the block.

If you choose to rotary cut, here are the sizes to cut your squares:
Out of your main fabric cut:
1 square 2"x2"
8 squares 1.25"x1.25"
4 rectangles 1.25"x2"
Out of your background fabric cut:
8 squares 1.25"x1.25"
4 rectangles 1.25"x2"
Assemble following the layout below, making horizontal strips first and then attaching them to each other.


I will not shock you with the wonky result of my attempt.

This morning I decided to redo the block, using foundation piecing.
Foundation piecing this block is a piece of cake.
Set the stitch length on your sewing machine to about 15 stitches per inch to make tearing off the foundation paper easier.
Trace the pattern from the book or print the foundation pattern from the software.
If you traced the block, cut the pattern into strips and number as follows.
The diagram doesn't show it, but remember to leave your ¼" seam allowance all the way around each strip.

C-3 Rayelle's Fence

No comments:

Post a Comment