Thursday, February 19, 2009

BR-13

As expected, a very complicated block finally came out of the jar yesterday. After five hours of sewing and "un"-sewing, I completed the block. It was a TOTAL disaster. The upside is that I think I now know both how NOT to do it and hopefully how to do it better.

After all that drama I needed some simple block therapy, hence today's block.

Print or trace the block diagram onto foundation paper, number, and cut out as in the photo.

Foundation piece all the numbered sections. Trim the seam allowances to ¼" all around. Cut the unnumbered sections out of fabric, leaving a ¼" seam allowance as well.

Assemble the "diamond" section by sewing all four sections together.

Attach the triangle and trapezoid sections to the top and bottom.

Sew on the side strips.

Attach the small triangle section to the top.

7 comments:

  1. OH OH. I see that 5 hr. block in the near future. Can you tell us which one is was?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this block. So pretty. When will you disclose the difficult block to us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too want to know what the difficult block was. I am going to guess E-11. I have tried that one four times, with not getting the type of results I want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is complicated. I can understand why it took more than one try! One of about 200 reasons why I will never be doing this quilt. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, boy. The anticipation is getting to me now! Do we get to see the mysterious difficult block tomorrow? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a quilter but enjoy reading your posts and seeing how its done... the blocks look great

    ReplyDelete