Monday, January 4, 2010

E-7

Back to the (very enjoyable) grindstone we go!

Print or trace the block onto foundation paper, cut out, and number the sections as below.  Note that some lines were extended.

Foundation piece both sections and trim the seam allowances to 1/4".

Sew the two pieced sections together.

Print or trace the block diagram onto the dull side of freezer paper and cut out as in the photo.
Iron the freezer paper onto the right side of the block section, lining up the seam lines.  Clip the inner corners.

Out of background fabric, cut a 5" square and lay it right side up on the table.
Place the block right side up on top of the square and baste through all layers.

Applique the diagonal edges.
Trim the block section to 4" x 4".
Applique the vertical strips.
The strips are 1/4" wide.  I drew two lines 1/4" apart on the right side of the fabric using a disappearing marker and cut the strip out, leaving a little more than 1/8" seam allowance on either side of the lines.
I then finger pressed along the lines, pressed with the iron, basted the strips to the block and appliqued them.
Not perfect, but done.

Out of background fabric, cut
   one strip 1" x 4"
   two strips 1" x 4.5"
   one strip 1" x 5"

Referring to the block diagram, sew the strips to the edges of the block log cabin style.
E-7

4 comments:

  1. This one looks challenging! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, I have been able to do some catching-up since Christmas Day and it has been great. Will print this one off right now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a challenging block waiting for me, one of the many that I want to make. I hope to catch up... once again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So now that I've finished this one, I can really, really appreciate the approach you took. I wish I had done applique like you! Your block looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete