Thursday, January 28, 2010

TRC (Top Right Corner)

Here it is!  Our first corner kite.
I think mine is destined for the "redo" pile, with the wonky stars, wonky seams, and chopped off points, but the construction method won't change (except maybe the applique techniques).

Print or trace the block diagram onto foundation paper, number, and cut out the sections shown in the photo below.

Foundation piece all the numbered sections and trim the seam allowances to 1/4".

Sew the pieced sections together in pairs to form the four sides of the center square as below.

I used reverse applique for the center star.  I'm not sure this was the best method.  I'm having a really hard time getting the points sharp, but here's how I did it:
Cut a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" square out of main block fabric.
Cut a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" square out of background fabric.
Print or trace the center star onto the dull side of freezer paper and cut out the inside of the star.  Be sure to mark the seam lines of the center section on the freezer paper for resizing the square when you finish your applique.
Iron the freezer paper to the right side of the main block fabric square.

Cut out the inside of the star, leaving a small seam allowance for turning under when you applique.
Place the background fabric square right side up on the table.  Place the main fabric square right side up on top of it.  Baste securely through all layers.

Turning the seam allowance under and clipping where necessary, reverse applique the star.
Trim the square to 3" x 3".  Remove the freezer paper.

Sew the four pieced sections to the sides of the center appliqued section.


I decided to use "freezer paper on top" for the other star to see if the points would turn out any better, but you can, of course, reverse applique this one too.
Mark the position of the other star, as well as the seam lines of the block section, onto a piece of background fabric. Applique.
Cut out the block section.  Don't forget to add the seam allowance.

Cut the remaining shapes out of background fabric.
Also out of background fabric, cut
1 strip 7/8" x 6"
1 strip 7/8" x 7"

Referring to the block diagram, sew the shapes to the block.

Sew the 6" strip to the top and the 7"strip to the side of the block and trim to align with the block edges.
Sew the appliqued triangle to the bottom of the block.


5 comments:

  1. I really like this one! Again, the fabric is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job - it was kind of fun doing these corner pieces I think.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the corner Kite! It's fabulous...the color and your work! I can't wait to make one myself. How far along are you now? I'd love to see a snapshot of how much you have filled in on a layout picture! I'll bet it looks pretty darn full!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it was a real challenge, but I think it is a fabulous block. I love the colors you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the kite the way it is. I find as I go on with my many blocks and look back at some I did earlier, I'm happier with them and don't want to re-do them. I guess time makes you realize you did fine! Unless you plan on submitting the quilt for a BIG Quilt show like, Houston, I'd leave it!

    ReplyDelete