Friday, February 26, 2010

J-10

Appliqueing 16 little melons took way longer than expected.
And I'm not happy with the center ones so I'm redoing them as we speak.

Anyhow...

Out of background fabric, cut
two strips 2 3/4" x 1 5/8"
two strips 5" x 1 5/8"

Out of main block fabric, cut
one square 2 3/4" x 2 3/4"
Sew the smaller background fabric strips to two sides of the square.
Attach the longer strips to the top and bottom.
Mark the positions of the melons on the block using a disappearing or washable marker.
Applique away!
I had to scan the block because it's still dark outside.  I really hate those center melons.
J-10

9 comments:

  1. this is the block waiting for me to start. I was going to start it about two weeks ago and put it aside to work on something else - it is still waiting for me so I really need to get to it - maybe tomorrow :)
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! That’s a lot of work! The Winter Appliqué Olympics!

    What do love to watch the most?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give you the win in the Winter Applique Olympics. There is no way I'm doing 16 tiny melons. And if you are having some difficulty, what about us non-Olympians?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the dickens of a block. I have two more melons to do. Very time-consuming as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one looks like a real challenge! I will not look forward to doing that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too, am not looking forward to this one! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started it months ago, and quit with the first melon. It's still waiting for me, but I may do it in another fabric that's easier to applique

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alot of work go into your blocks, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anina, I did it the day you posted it! Woho! Thanks for the details of how to do it because the book lacks that. Here is my block:

    http://a-ditchin-time-quilts.blogspot.com/2010/02/dear-jane-i-10-chiekos-calla-lily.html

    ReplyDelete