Sunday, April 19, 2009

A-11

And you thought I was lying when I said there would be two blocks this week.

I had a lot of trouble getting the little block pieces to lay flat so I could photograph them, so I apologize in advance.

This was a tough block. The sections are very small. Mine is a little wonky.

Print or trace the block diagram onto foundation paper, number and cut out as in the photo.

Foundation piece all the numbered sections and trim their seam allowances to 1/4". Cut the unnumbered sections out of fabric, remembering to add 1/4" seam allowance to them as well.

Assemble the center block section.


Attach the small rectangles as in the photo.

At this point I had the full intention of sewing set in seams because I could not think of any other way to make this block. That, however, proved very hard to impossible to do by machine because the sections are so little.
So here's what I did:
Place a square main fabric piece top of the block, right sides together as in the photo and sew the seam as shown. Stop sewing 1/4" from the edge.

Press the section open and then fold back.
Fold 1/4" seam on the next side of the square and press.

Fold the square over and applique in place along the folded edge.

Repeat on the other three corners.

Attach the outside border log cabin style, following the diagram.

My block is not quite as wonky as it looks in the photo. It just wouldn't lay flat.

10 comments:

  1. Your blocks are sooooo unique and intricate. I love how involved they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors of your blocks. I have these on my bucket list to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is a hard one... I would not dare machine sew it... I would just hand sew it with templates!
    Your explanations is just great!!!!!
    love

    marta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow indeed. The fabric is lovely. The block looks very difficult to make. Thanks for figuring out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooof! This one's a doozy. Yours looks great. I love the purple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. grazie per il tuo commento!
    ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obrigada por mais este lindo bloco.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing!!!! Just grand!

    ReplyDelete