Monday, October 18, 2010

BRC

The bottom right corner.  The last corner.

This is what I did.  I'm sure there are other methods out there.  Please share if you have a better idea.

Print or trace the block diagram onto paper. It's 8" x 8" if you were wondering.
Cut a piece of background fabric large enough for the block plus seam allowances.
Trace the positions of the star and lemons, as well as the seam lines onto the fabric using a disappearing or washable marker. I have a wonderful little light table which I can't live without but a bright window will work as well.
Print or trace the block diagram onto foundation paper. Actually if you're tracing you can just trace the star.
Connect the corners as below, cut out, and number.
Cut out the sections.
Foundation piece each section.
Trim the seam allowances where the sections will be attached to 1/4".  Leave the outer seam allowances larger.  This will make it easier to secure in the next steps.
Sew the sections together to form the star shape.
Lay the star right side up on the light table or against the window. Place the background fabric with the markings right side up on top of it. Line up the outside border of the pieced star with the markings on the background fabric. I completed the borders of the star on the background fabric to make this easier.
Baste through all layers.  Do not baste too close to the star.  You want to be able to turn the seam allowances under.
Reverse applique along the star borders.  I cut the center out as I went along because the shape is so little and I wanted as little fraying as possible.
If you want a little more detail on reverse applique, have a look at block B-1.

Applique the melons onto the block.

Cut out the block 1/4" outside the marked seam lines.
BRC - Bottom Right Corner
The star is a little chunky and the corners not perfect but I gave up on complete perfection about 200 blocks ago.

4 comments:

  1. I cannot agree with you! This triangle is perfect!!! You are so close - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have followed this blog for so long, I can't believe you are almost done! It is so amazing, and I have learned so much about quilting from this blog. In a way I will miss it when it is over, but I guess there are many more unmade quilts waiting to be born after this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I was so sure you were going to save this block for last. :) Very clever idea for that pesky star. Your kite looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection is overrated...looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete