Thursday, February 4, 2010

G-6

I've been dreading this one for a while.
My advice: Put away your perfectionistic tendencies right now. Go have a look at Jane's block. It's all but perfect.

Ready?

Print or trace the block diagram onto foundation paper, cut out and number as in the photo.
Note that the little "frame" around the mini star is not here. We'll add that in a later step.
Foundation piece all the numbered sections and trim their seam allowances to 1/4".
Cut the two unnumbered triangles out of main block fabric. Remember to add 1/4" seam allowances there as well.
Construct the small star by sewing the sections together.
Out of background fabric, cut four rectangles 1.5" x 3".
Sew these to the center star log-cabin style.
The center section will not end up looking exactly like the block diagram, but this is the easier way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think making it look like the diagram would require some set in seams.
Using a light table or window, mark the seam lines of the center section on the fabric and cut out, adding a 1/4" seam allowance.
Sew the two main fabric triangles to the center section.
Attach the top section.
Lastly, add the remaining two sections.
Not bad, I think.
G-6
Oh, did I mention that I made two of these today?
G-6

5 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try this block, I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this block someitme ago and never thought of doing the frame your way! So much easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite some challenge indeed! Love the linnen look fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Not just one, but two? You're hard core. :) And they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been delaying on this one, a because of ... well because it looks really difficult! While this still looks challenging, your instructions are very clear.

    ReplyDelete