Tuesday, September 8, 2009

RS-6

If you've been following this blog for a while, you know that I have a serious aversion to set in seams.
Well, yesterday I met my nemesis. There was no avoiding them. This would have been a lot of applique...

Trace or print the block diagram onto foundation paper, number, and cut out as below.
If you're printing, remember to change the block size to 5"x8"!
(Do not foundation piece number 7 (the diamond) in the bottom right section. It won't work. Cut the diamond out separately. I only realized this when I started piecing.)

Foundation piece all the sections and trim the seam allowances to 1/4". It is important to be accurate on this when sewing inset seams. I marked some of my seam allowances with a disappearing marker and then cut on the line.

Complete the center section of the block by sewing the three pieced sections together.
TIP: One secret of set in seams is not to sew into the seam allowance when piecing the individual sections. When foundation piecing this is hard to do, so I just used my seam ripper to undo where I'd sewn into the seam allowances.
I'm planning a tutorial on set in seams and will update this post when I do, but in the mean time, the instructions for block B-9 may help a little.

Sew the top block section to the center section.

Cut the center bottom diamond out of background fabric and sew it in between the two bottom sections. Attach it to the one section first and then the second.

Sew the two block sections together.
RS-6

6 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I've started on the blocks, but I don't know if I can do this - probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is a difficult one!!
    Congrats! It turned put great
    Love

    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! Great job, Anina!!! You make it look so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief! I can tell I'm in trouble already. Thank goodness I'm not there yet. One quick question, and it may sound really silly but on your directions...what does NB mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I've been putting this one off for a while now! You may have given me just the inspiration I need to get it done now! Thanks for all you do!
    Melanie from crazyaboutquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete