Friday, September 25, 2009

LS-12

This one took a little longer than I expected.

I studied Jane's block closely and I'm pretty sure her center bottom block section is one solid main fabric triangle. I'm not sure why the diagram was drawn up with all those little pieces but, because this is the way it is in the book, this is the way I made it.

Print or trace the block diagram onto foundation paper, number, and cut out as in the photo.
Important! You have to mirror this diagram.

Foundation piece all the numbered sections and trim their seam allowances to 1/4".

Cut a piece of background fabric large enough to cover the top block section plus seam allowances. Using a light table or window, mark the lines of the top block section onto the fabric using a disappearing or washable marker.
Applique the two kites. I tried the back basting technique for this one and definitely liked it for the smaller shape.
Cut the section out 1/4" beyond the marked seam lines.

Sew together the first two sections as below.

Complete the entire diagonal section.

Following the block diagram, complete the block.
LS-12

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful block, Anina! And your applique looks amazing. What is back basting?

    Sigh... now, if only I could catch up. I haven't made a block since August. =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is pretty, I mean, AR, this one looks like the very devil.

    ReplyDelete