Friday, March 29, 2013

Batting Practice - Take Two

Tried a mini quilt with different batting. This time I used Hobbs Heirloom Organic Cotton. If was really soft.
The little quilt is definitely less stiff than attempt number one, but it may be because the quilting isn't as dense.
IMG_5679
I realized that my sewing machine REALLY needed to be serviced before I start the actual quilting journey, so I didn't do straight lines on the sashing like I was planning to.
IMG_5685
IMG_5684
I am really enjoying coming up with quilting designs for each block.
IMG_5683
IMG_5681
IMG_5680
IMG_5682

9 comments:

  1. This looks just great! Are you planning to be just as detailed on your main quilt? Thank you for your tutorials, by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested to know if you are going to put all the blocks together with the sashing and then quilt the whole thing ... or put together smaller groups of blocks and quilt them then attach them to other groups? I will anxiously follow your progress as I am at the same stage you are. Your tutorials were invaluable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only are they adorable, but they look like lots of fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I ask what kind of machine and quilting set up you have?
    I have a Husqvarna Viking, Mega Quilter, on a pfaff frame, but I can't sew straight lines!!! I can sew wonderful curves, and I can do a little bit of vertical and horizontal lines, but diagonal look awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great following you with the Dear Jane quilt, I have bought the book but being a beginner have not been able to work out the correct way yet and feel with the blogs being so tiny it will be hard, will try and make the first one and see what happens! So far I have done some crazy quilting and make some 122 blocks from a TV programme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for that tutorial on straight lines ... I'll practice it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that seashell look on the lavender block! I may copy your idea if that's ok....if I ever get to the quilting of my dear Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried bamboo batting? I have used it for a couple of quilts and it is really soft and lovely. I am thinking of possibly using it for my DJ.

    ReplyDelete